ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Vending Machine, Do It Yourself products and Shopping Malls.
- These are machines, which are installed in buys areas.
- An example is an ATM (Automated Teller Machine).
- The machines may be hired or leased. They operate for 24 hours and use the self-service method of selling which saves on labour and time.
- May sell a variety of drinks and snacks.
- Use of machines increases sales and profit.
Do It Yourself (DIY) products
- These are products which are semi-assembled or in kits for example solar kits, wardrobes etc.
- They are sold with the requisite instructions to assemble them.
- Consumers need few skills to assemble the parts to make finished products.
- The products are mainly sold in supermarkets and hardware stores.
- With DIY product consumers can:
- save money by doing work for themselves
- improve their standard of living
- gain self satisfaction by doing their own work
- are exclusively devoted to shops e.g Joina City and Eastgate
- They consist of a whole range of shops e.g. chain stores, supermarkets, specialists stores and small shops.
- Some malls ban traffic from shopping areas a process known as pedestrianization.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.