ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Trade Associations
- an organisation formed by traders in the same line of business/industry e.g. Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA), Bankers Association of Zimbabwe etc.
- Is found in the private sector.
- Protects the interests of its member traders.
- Establishes a code of practice (rules) governing the conduct of its members.
- Represents members when dealing with other organisations.
- A center for exchange of information for members.
- An advisory services bureau for members.
- Organises, places and pays for collective advertising campaigns in the media.
- Organises trade exhibitions.
- Sets prices of commodities manufactured and sold by its members.
- Ensures that the set prices are adhered to.
- Restricts competition in prices of its members.
- Carries out market research, on behalf of member traders, in the production and distribution of goods and services.
- Publishes a trade journal for its particular industry e.g. ACCA magazine.
- Maintains a fund for the association from subscriptions contributed by members for the sustenance of the association.