ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Ndebele State: The Role of the King in the Ndebele State
- The King had several roles that he played in the political organisation of the Ndebele state.
- These roles included:
- Raising the amabutho (army)
- Acted as the supreme commander of the army.
- Acted as the chief judge in the state.
- Allocated land.
- Presided over religious ceremonies especially those of national importance.
- Distributed captives, cattle and other loot obtained from the raids.
- Appointed indunas.
- Acted as the custodian of all cattle, land and people in the state.
- He was a nation builder, statesman and military strategist.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.