ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Reproduction in plants: The fertilization process
- After a flower has been pollinated, pollen grains grow down the stigma
- The pollen grains germinate
- They grow through the style towards the ovary
- Inside the ovary are the ovules which each contain an egg cell
- The pollen tube carries the male nucleus down into the ovule
- Fertilisation is the union (/joining together) of the male and female nuclei
- It takes place inside the ovules
- It is important to note that not every pollen grain germinates and not every ovary develops into a seed.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.