ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Retail Trade: Retailers and their functions
- Retail means to cut into small pieces or to reduce to smaller quantities.
- A retailer is a middleman between wholesalers and consumers, who sells small or single units.
Functions of the retailer to consumers
- Retailers perform a number of essential functions to consumers all of which are invaluable.
- breaking bulk of goods they buy from wholesalers and manufacturers
- selling in small or single units
- being conveniently located near customers
- selling a variety of goods
- giving advice and information to customers
- advertising goods on behalf of manufacturers
- opening for long hours and even during holidays.
- They cater for individual tastes
- While during the same time providing
- a local source of supply.
- personal service.
- delivery services.
- credit facilities
- after-sales services.
Functions of the Retailer to wholesalers and manufacturers
- buys goods from manufacturers and wholesalers or provides a ready market for the manufacturer
- buys goods in bulk
- clears manufacturers’ production lines
- advertises goods on behalf of manufacturers
- stores goods
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.