ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: The Ndebele State:Problems faced by the Ndebele during their journey from Zululand
- These are some of the problems faced by the Ndebele/Khumalo on their way from Zululand to Western Zimbabwe:
- Families were separated when the Ndebele were moving to Zimbabwe
- There were shortages of pastures for their livestock
- The Khumalo experienced shortage of food because of a recurring droughts
- They were involved in many battles with different groups such as the Pedi, Rolong, Griqua and Boers
- Many people died during wars
- Livestock was also lost when the Khumalo during when they were raided and some due to tsetse flies
- The Ndebele homes were destroyed by fire
- There was rebellion by ambitious people
- Many people got sick with malaria
- Wild animals also attacked them
- There was the disruption of economic activities such as trade and farming activities.
- The Ndebele lived in fear of external attacks.
- Many Khumalo women were taken as captive by other groups
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.