ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Pipeline
- They are very efficient
- They are cheap once the installation has been completed.
- They can carry fluids in bulk.
- They are immobile i.e the route cannot be changed once they are installed.
- Can only carry fluids such as oil, gas and water and not solids like meat.
- They are very expensive to install and maintain.
- They are easy to sabotage e.g. the RENAMO bandits constantly threatened and sabotaged Zimbabwe’s Beira-Feruka pipeline during the Mozambican Civil War.
- Leaks and damage can be difficult to detect if the pipeline is underground.
- Special pipelines are required to carry flammables.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.