ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes:Agriculture:Farming types in Africa:The major estates of Zimbabwe: Hippo Valley case study
- Hippo Valley estate is located in the S.E Lowveld of Zimbabwe.
- Size-Large land of size 111 4555 ha leased to a company by government.
- Ownership-Ownership is by Anglo-American Corporation a TNC with headquarters in London.
- Products-Products that are produced include sugar cane, bananas, oranges and beef.
- It started off mainly by growing sugar cane but has diversified to enhance profits.
- Products are for the home and external markets.
- Employment-The estate employs 6 500 permanent workers and about 4 000 contract workers during the cane cutting period.
- Industrial growth- There is a sugar mill for processing cane and also an Afdis factory for making spirits and beers.
- Research and training– Next to the fence separating the estate from Chiredzi town, a sugar cane research station is suited to the environment to produce quality cane for export.
- Infrastructure-Hippo Valley High School, Chiredzi general hospital, banks, country clubs, pubs, beerhalls, roads, rails and thermal power station.
|ESTATE||SIZE (Ha)||MAIN CROPS/LIVESTOCK|
|Nijo||1 042||Horticulture and maize|
|Muzarabani||1 400||Cotton, beans|
|Sanyati||2 050||Cotton, wheat, groundnuts|
|Doreen's Pride||9 591||Cotton, wheat|
|Sisi||1 875||Cotton, soya beans|
|Antelope||1 500||Cotton, wheat|
|Balu||9 388||Dairy, beef|
|Jotsholo||769||Cotton, rice, wheat|
|Ngwezi||1 129||Cotton, wheat|
|Fair acres||450||Cotton, wheat, beans|
|Nyamazura||1 410||Fire cured tobacco|
|Transsau||11 999||Beef, dairy|
|Pungwe valley (Katiyo)||3 786||Tea, coffee|
|Rumbizi (Chiwira)||6 560||Tea, coffee, bananas, apples|
|Chisumbanje||5 189||Cotton, wheat|
|Middle Sabi||3 772||Cotton, wheat|
|Rusitu||2 672||Coffee, macademia nuts, pineaples, flowers|
|Sikato||1 746||Dairy, maize, wheat|
|Hippo valley||11 455||Sugar cane, bananas,oranges, beef|
|Triagle||13 560||Sugar cane, beef|
|Mazowe||4 558||Citrus, maize, beef|
|Mkwasine||1 890||Wheat, cotton,sugar cane, coffee, beef|
- Elsewhere in Africa, important estates are found in Malawi at Thyolo, Makwasha and Mulanje for tea.
- In Liberia estates are at Habel and Cavala for rubber and in Kenya at Kericho, Sotic, Wandi Hills and Limuru, all for tea.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page