ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Local Authorities
- Can be a city ( e.g. Harare City Council), rural ( e.g. Mutasa District Council) or district council.
- Are controlled by the central government.
- Owned by the local government.
- Set up to administer a city, rural or district council.
- They provide amenities to the communities they serve e.g. refuse collection, water purification, sewage disposal, road construction etc.
- Their affairs are run by councillors who are elected by the residents of the communities which said authorities serve.
- Affairs and accounts are made public.
- They set by-laws.
- Their powers are limited by Acts of Parliament e.g. the Urban Councils Act.
Sources of Revenue
- Local authorities raise revenue through:
- rents, rates and licences.
- Taxes (levies) and subsidies from government.
- Fines, profits and fees.
- Sale and servicing of land.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.