ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science: The test for starch
Aim: To test whether light is required for the photosynthesis process.
A potted plant, cardboard or aluminum foil, scissors, paper clips or tape, equipment for the start test.
- De-starch the green plant by placing it in the dark for 24 hours.
- Cut out a shape using foil or cardboard to partly cover one leaf.
- Attach the cover to the leaf using clips or tape. Make sure it is firmly attached and does not fall off.
- Place the plant in the light for a few hours.
- Test the covered leaf for covered leaf for starch.
- Record the results.
- Only the uncovered part of the leaf tests positive for starch.
- This is because light is required in order for the photosynthesis process to take place.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.