ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: How the government protects consumers
- The government via Parliament passes various ACTS to protect consumers including:
- The Hire Purchase Act which guards against unfair and unlawful repossession of goods bought on credit.
- Consumer Safety Act which ensures that products are safe for human consumption and use.
- The Fair Trading Act which guards against false price cutting, hoarding and conditional selling of goods.
- Sale of Goods Act which specifies that gods must fit the purpose or description for which they are sold.
- The Trade Measure Act which guards against underweight and incorrect weights and measures.
- The Foods and Drugs Act which guards against adulteration of products and improper labelling of goods.
- The Price Control Act which safeguards against overpricing of goods.
- In addition various Ministers have the right to pass legislation in the form of Statutory Instruments whenever the need arises.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.