ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Documents used in shipping: Charter Party
- A contract document used to hire a ship for example tramp ships.
- It can be known as a voyage charter when hiring a ramp for a specific journey.
- Can be known as a time charter when hiring a tramp for a specific time period.
- Can be known as a demise when hiring a tramp together with its crew.
- Shows the names and addresses of the hiring party and the ship owner.
- Shows the cost of carrying the goods.
- Contains lay days i.e. the stipulated number of days for loading and offloading the cargo.
- If for some reason the cargo can be loaded or unloaded within the lay days, the hiring party pays a fine calle “demurrage.”
- If the goods carried do not fill the whole tramp the hirer pays “dead freight” for the unoccupied space.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.