ZIMSEC O Level Biology Notes:Properties and Biological significance of water
Property: High heat of fusion
- This is a measure of the heat energy required to melt a solid (ice).
- Liquid water must lose a large amount of heat energy to freeze.
- Contents of cells and their environment are therefore less likely to freeze.
- This is an advantage for bodies of living organisms and organisms that live in water.
Property: Density and freezing
- The density of water decreases below 4°C and ice tends to form on top and floats.
- Since ice floats, it forms at the top first and at the bottom last.
- Ice insulates the water below it, thus increasing the chances of survival of organisms in water.
- It also helps maintain circulation in large bodies of water (water expands and rises at 4°C).
To access more topics go to the O Level Biology Notes page