ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Transport: Air Transport
- Is very fast for example a trip to the Victoria Falls takes 1 hour 15 minutes by air and over 12 hours by road.
- Is comfortable
- Not affected by weather elements.
- Not affected by surface relief
- Can be used in times of emergency for example helicopters are used in air rescue missions such as after the earthquake in Nepal.
- Can cover large distances without the need to refuel.
- They can take direct routes.
- They can carry high value goods safely for example there are no air pirates.
- Airspace is usually restricted and controlled by host countries as a matter of national security.
- They can be affected by extreme weather conditions e.g. cyclones.
- Cannot provide door to door services.
- Require expensive air ports to take off and land.
- Airports are usually located far away from residential and industrial areas which means additional modes of transport are required.
- They are very expensive to purchase and maintain.
- Accidents are almost always fatal and costly in damage terms.
- Prone to sabotage and terrorism.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.