ZIMSEC Integrated Science Notes: Safety when using chemicals
- Pesticides are almost always harmful to human beings.
- They are graded according to their level of toxicity i.e. how dangerous they are to humans.
- There are no safe pesticides all are harmful the level of toxicity differs but all pesticides are toxic.
- Always read and follow instructions when using pesticides taking note of the following:
- the composition of the substance.
- What exactly is it supposed to be used for people have a tendency to use garden chemicals for home use. This will most likely lead to accidental poisoning.
- Handling precautions that are supposed to be followed e.g. gloves.
- The recommended course of treatment in the event that one is exposed to the pesticide.
- Cleaning after use.
- Storage and disposal of used containers.
- Generally chemicals should be stored in a dry cool place and always away from the reach of children and pets.
- They should be stored in locked, well ventilated storerooms.
- Used pesticide containers should be buried and not burnt.
To access more topics go to the Integrated Science Notes page.