ZIMSEC O Level Integrated Science Notes: Respiration
- During the gaseous exchange process oxygen is taken into the body and carbon dioxide is expended.
- Oxygen is needed to burn fuels to release energy.
- Food is a fuel and oxygen is used by th cells to “burn” the fuel.
- The burning process is very slow and there are not flames involved.
- The energy in the food molecules is released slowly inside cells.
- Respiration is the release of energy when glucose is broken down in the presence of oxygen.
- The equation for respiration is:
To access more topics go to the Integrated Science Notes page.