ZIMSEC O Level Integrated Science Notes: Mineral Nutrition
- Besides water and carbon dioxide plants also need many different mineral salts from their environment.
- These mineral salts are required in small quantities.
- They are taken up by the plant in solutions form as ions with water and are distributed around the plant.
- Each mineral element has a specific function in the plant.
- The three most important mineral elements are: potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus.
Mineral Uses and their deficiencies
|Mineral Element||Use||Deficiency Effect|
Good leaf growth
Leaves turn yellow/Chlorosis
|Phosphorus||Producing energy-carrier molecules.|
Good root growth.
|Purple leaf colour.
|Potassium||Flower and Fruit formation||Yellow/brown leaf margins.
To access more topics go to the Integrated Science Notes page.